Tag Archives: flowers

First Friday art exhibit at Bite Studio

This is “Paphiopedilum II,” one of nine orchid prints I’ll have on display at Bite Studio’s First Friday art opening tonight.  I’m sharing the walls with fellow printmakers Lynn Maritch, Peggy Masters and Kay Myers, who will be showing monotypes, collagraphs and mixed media collages.  Great art, wonderful company, and excellent refreshments…what better way to […]

Phalaenopsis

This is one of three phalaenopsis orchids rescued from the clearance rack of a big box grocery store back in 2014.  I took dozens of photos of the flowers promptly after bringing them home, which was a good thing, as this particular plant died very quickly from what I guessed to be crown rot.  When […]

Cambria orchid

I’m taking a break from my 365 monotype challenge to wrap up work on etchings for an art opening next week.  As soon as I file the edges of this plate, it’ll be ready to edition…it may even be dry before I mat and frame it! The marks on the flowers were made using a […]

Phalaenopsis etching

Nowadays, when drawing flowers from life, I’m careful to take documentary photographs, as an etching is never completed while the plant is still in bloom.  No photos were taken while making the preliminary drawing, which made it difficult to complete the etching. After about two years of aquatinting, scraping, burnishing and re-aquatinting, I decided that […]

365 art challenge #18, 19, 20

Monotypes no. 18, 19, 20 and ghosts with relief printing, hung up to dry.  It seems simple enough to roll ink onto a relief block, but learning exactly how much ink should be applied takes a lot of trial and error.  Once the block is inked, is it better to hand-transfer the ink to paper […]

365 art challenge #18

Monotype no. 18:  Aquarelle crayons dissolved in water, painted on plexiglass prepared with gum arabic.  The gum arabic beads up slightly when applied to the plexiglass, and is visible in the print in the lower right hand corner.  Every tutorial I’ve read on watercolor monotypes suggests lightly sanding the plexiglass first, to give the watercolor […]

365 art challenge #11

Monotype no. 11:  the first layer is shaved Aquarelle crayons dissolved in water, painted onto a plexiglass prepared with gum arabic, printed on very lightly sized mystery paper. The second layer is linoleum, printed with oil based Gamblin ink.  I’m pleased with the rich, saturated colors of the Aquarelle crayons, but not so pleased with […]

Zinc plates

Zinc plates are an economical alternative to the copper plates traditionally used for etchings.  Zinc and copper are etched with different chemicals, and I no longer have access to the nitric acid used for zinc plates.  I have a few of these plates left over from my college printmaking classes, and have decided to get […]

Comparing different papers

After several rosin applications and a bit of tinkering with the aquatint process, this plate finally has a nice velvet black background.  The next step is to burnish the gray tones and improve the range of values.  Last night in the studio, I wondered if switching from my favorite gray Magnani pescia paper to the […]

Proofing a two plate etching

I had an odd scrap of copper that lent itself to this unusual composition.  I’d promised myself that I would take a break from color printing and return to black ink, but the first proof cried out for color.  I cut a second plate as close to the size of the original as possible, and […]