Monthly Archives: February 2017


This is an etching I began back in 2012 that never looked quite right to me.  I struggled for years to figure out how to achieve evenly aquatinted tones, and just when I seemed to be getting it right, it appeared that this plate had been lost.  I’ll spare you the details of the vermin […]


This is one of three phalaenopsis orchids rescued from the clearance rack of a big box grocery store back in 2014.  I took dozens of photos of the flowers promptly after bringing them home, which was a good thing, as this particular plant died very quickly from what I guessed to be crown rot.  When […]

Cambria orchid

I’m taking a break from my 365 monotype challenge to wrap up work on etchings for an art opening next week.  As soon as I file the edges of this plate, it’ll be ready to edition…it may even be dry before I mat and frame it! The marks on the flowers were made using a […]

Phalaenopsis etching

Nowadays, when drawing flowers from life, I’m careful to take documentary photographs, as an etching is never completed while the plant is still in bloom.  No photos were taken while making the preliminary drawing, which made it difficult to complete the etching. After about two years of aquatinting, scraping, burnishing and re-aquatinting, I decided that […]

365 challenge #19, 21, 22

In the above photo, I’ve found a solution for using thin Japanese papers for monotype.  The paper has to be dampened or the watercolor won’t transfer when printing, and the dampening turns the paper outside the printed area into a crinkled mess.  I decided to cut the paper down to the 4″ x 4″ printed […]

365 art challenge #18, 19, 20

Monotypes no. 18, 19, 20 and ghosts with relief printing, hung up to dry.  It seems simple enough to roll ink onto a relief block, but learning exactly how much ink should be applied takes a lot of trial and error.  Once the block is inked, is it better to hand-transfer the ink to paper […]