First Friday at Bite Studio
It’s been a while since my last site update, but I’m very excited to have a new body of work to share. I’ll have a small series of new monotypes on view at Bite Studio on Friday, June 7th, 2019. Bite Studio is located on the corner of SE 7th and Harrison in Portland, OR […]
Earlier this month, I showed some monotype prints at Bite Studio’s monthly opening. All of the prints shown were inspired by the early spring blooms of my back yard. My favorite feedback of the evening was from a coworker who declared my prints to be “very metal.” Above is the moodiest, most “metal” of the […]
Last year I made my first attempt at gardening in the back yard of the new house. While the results were less than spectacular, I did manage to grow a few flowers and vegetables, saving the seeds for future seasons. This winter I’m working on illustrations for seed packets to be given away to friends […]
365 art challenge #10
Monotype no. 10: Charbonnel water based ink on mystery (Copperplate?) paper. Reductive monotypes: harder than they look.
Good company at home in the studio
Helen keeps me company while I begin to plan the different layers of a multiple plate etching. This Potinara has been in bloom for three weeks, so it’s a race against time if I want to draw from life and not from photo documentation.
This summer, I picked up a maxillaria tenuifolia at my favorite plant nursery. It was a spur of the moment decision based on how lovely and unusual the flowers were. Unfortunately, unlike the oncidium and phalaenopsis orchids, these fragrant blooms don’t last very long, so I missed out on the opportunity to draw the weird, […]
I picked up a lovely lady slipper flower, or paphiopedilum, from the Portland Nursery about a month ago. Since then, I’ve been racing against time to make as many detailed drawings as possible before the flower wilts. Over the past year, I’ve purchased 11 orchids, 9 of which have survived, but only once have I been […]
I’ve printed this two-plate etching in several different color combinations, and I think I’ve finally decided which one will make the cut. The plant I drew the image from was mostly violet and white with a little bit of yellow: I tried printing with colors that were faithful to the plant as […]
Scraping and Sanding
I had the bright idea that I should recycle an old plate with a very light, poorly executed spraypaint aquatint. I thought it would be pretty easy to remove, but I was wrong. Friends in the studio have had success using power sanders to remove old imagery from plates, but given how tight my living […]