Tag Archives: aquatint

Lichen

This is an etching I began back in 2012 that never looked quite right to me.  I struggled for years to figure out how to achieve evenly aquatinted tones, and just when I seemed to be getting it right, it appeared that this plate had been lost.  I’ll spare you the details of the vermin […]

Cambria orchid

I’m taking a break from my 365 monotype challenge to wrap up work on etchings for an art opening next week.  As soon as I file the edges of this plate, it’ll be ready to edition…it may even be dry before I mat and frame it! The marks on the flowers were made using a […]

Phalaenopsis etching

Nowadays, when drawing flowers from life, I’m careful to take documentary photographs, as an etching is never completed while the plant is still in bloom.  No photos were taken while making the preliminary drawing, which made it difficult to complete the etching. After about two years of aquatinting, scraping, burnishing and re-aquatinting, I decided that […]

Comparing different papers

After several rosin applications and a bit of tinkering with the aquatint process, this plate finally has a nice velvet black background.  The next step is to burnish the gray tones and improve the range of values.  Last night in the studio, I wondered if switching from my favorite gray Magnani pescia paper to the […]

Paphiopedilum II

I picked up a lovely lady slipper flower, or paphiopedilum, from the Portland Nursery about a month ago.  Since then, I’ve been racing against time to make as many detailed drawings as possible before the flower wilts.  Over the past year, I’ve purchased 11 orchids, 9 of which have survived, but only once have I been […]

Oncidium III

I’ve printed this two-plate etching in several different color combinations, and I think I’ve finally decided which one will make the cut.  The plant I drew the image from was mostly violet and white with a little bit of yellow:       I tried printing with colors that were faithful to the plant as […]

Scraping and Sanding

I had the bright idea that I should recycle an old plate with a very light, poorly executed spraypaint aquatint. I thought it would be pretty easy to remove, but I was wrong. Friends in the studio have had success using power sanders to remove old imagery from plates, but given how tight my living […]